Stool Collection Guidelines
PATIENT PREPARATION AND INSTRUCTION
Patients should follow the PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS at least 7days prior to and continuing through the test period. Roughage in the diet can increase test accuracy by helping uncover “silent” lesions which bleed intermittently.
- For accurate test results, collect samples from bowel movements done THREE DIFFERENT DAYS.
- Do not collect sample if blood is visible in you stool or urine (e.g., menstruation, active hemorrhoids, urinary tract infection).
- For the most accurate test results, collect each stool sample BEFORE contact with the toilet bowl water. You may use any clean, dry container.
- Remove toilet bowl cleaners from toilet tank and flush twice before proceeding.
- For seven days before and during the stool collection period, avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (e.g., Motrin, Advil), naproxen or aspirin (more than one adult aspirin a day).
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be taken as needed.
- For three days before and during stool collection period, avoid Vitamin C in excess of 250 mg a day for supplements, and citrus fruits and juices.
- For three day before and during stool collection period, avoid red meats (beef, lamb, and liver).
- Eat a well-balanced diet including fiber such as bran cereals, fruits and vegetables.
SAMPLES SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO THE LAB IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER
Option 1: All Samples can be brought in on separate days as you collect it.
Option 2: Sample 1 and 2 can be brought in together to the lab. Keep sample 1 refrigerated unit sample 2 is collected the next day so that they me be brought together.
Sample 3 should be brought to the lab on a separate day than samples 1 and 2.
Clean Catch Urine Sample
A clean catch is a method of collecting a urine sample to be tested. The clean-catch urine method is used to prevent germs from the penis or vagina from getting into a urine sample.
How the Test is Performed
- If possible, collect the sample when urine has been in your bladder for 2 to 3 hours.
- You will use a special kit to collect the urine. It will most likely have a cup with a lid and wipes.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after collection.
GIRLS AND WOMEN
URINE CULTURE INSTRUCTION FOR FEMALES
Girls and women need to wash the area between the vagina “lips” (labia). You may be given a special clean-catch kit that contain sterile wipes.
- Keeping your labia spread open, urinate a small amount into the toilet bowl, then stop the flow of urine.
- Hold the urine cup a few inches (or a few centimeters) from the urethra and urinate until the cup about half full.
- You may finish urinating into the toilet bowl.
BOYS AND MEN
URINE CULTURE INSTRUCTION FOR MALES
- WASH YOUR HANDS with soap and warm water.
- Pull back (retract) foreskin First (if applicable).
- Use the FIRST wipe to clean head of penis.
- Continue holding foreskin back. Use the SECOND wipe to clean urethra (opening at head of penis).
- KEEPING foreskin back. Urinate a small amount into the toilet, then urinate into sterile container.
- You may finish urinating into the toilet.
24 Hour Urine Collection
- Upon rising in the morning, urine into the toilet emptying your bladder completely. (Do Not collect this sample). Note the exact time and print it on the container label.
- Collect in the plastic container all urine passed within the 24-hour period.
- Refrigerate any collected urine between all voids and keep in a cool place.
- At exactly the same time the following, void completely again (first time after awakening), and add this sample to the collecting container. This completes your 24-hour collection.
- Take the 24-hour specimen to the laboratory as soon as possible, (as you will have your blood taken within the hour) maintaining the cool temperature in transit by the specimen in a portable cooler or insulated bag.